How do you like your burger? Consider ditching the traditional beef or turkey patty for a black bean burger. When the beans are smashed and mixed with just the right spice, you end up with a delicious alternative.
This substitution is also great for anyone looking for a healthy option without sacrificing taste. Black beans are low in fat, cholesterol-free, and provide 30% of the daily recommended amount of fiber.
Give this recipe a try and tell the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition how you like it! Be sure to share pictures on Twitter. Tag @FitnessGov and/or hashtag #CookWithTheCouncil
#CookWithTheCouncil – Dr. Jayne’s Black Bean Burgers!
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chopped cloves of fresh garlic
¼ cup diced sweet Vidalia onions
1 egg or 2 egg white (no yolk)
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of chili powder (if you like a bit of spice)
1 ½ cup bread crumbs
Whole wheat hamburger buns
1 whole fresh avocado
- In a food processor, add all the burger patty ingredients. Carefully place the blended mixture in a bowl so that you can divide and make your black bean patties.
- Form your patties and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Light the outdoor grill, or indoor electric grill, and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Place the Black Bean Burgers on the grill in either a grilling pan or some aluminum foil until firm. Finish off directly on the grill so they get those wonderful grill marks.
- While the Black Bean Burgers are cooking, gently slice into your avocado so that you can place the slices on your burger with any other condiment you desire.
- Slightly grill the whole wheat buns on the grill and they will be ready to build your burger.
VARIATION: You can change up the flavor of your black bean burger to your taste by the types of toppings you add. This can include lettuce and tomato, salsa, cheese, etc.