Mental health plays an important role both in how people behave and the way they feel. People with good mental health are resilient. While they may experience stress, frustration and feelings of self-doubt or failure, they are able to bounce back and regain a sense of mental wellness within a reasonable period of time.
Here are some keys to good mental health provided by your CHILL counselors, the mental health professionals based in each Winter Park Consortium School (Winter Park High and the elementary and middle feeder schools).
Mentally healthy people have the following characteristics:
- They accept themselves as they are, with all their weaknesses and strengths.
- They remain in contact with reality.
- They are able to deal with stress and frustration.
- They can act independently, without undue influence from outside sources.
- They are able to show genuine concern for others.
The keys to mental health:
- Maintain good relationships with family and friends.
- Communicate with people you care about.
- Feel good about yourself.
- Become involved in activities that you find interesting.
- Appreciate individual differences.
- Determine the personal values by which you want to live.